Sunday 5 March 2006

So I totally fuckin' made another jumper!

second sweater
second sweater,
originally uploaded by tricoteuse.
This was planned to be my Knitting Olympics project, and it was, but I just overestimated my knitting speed, and the amount of free time I'd have to actually sit down and knit, so it ended up taking me four extra days to finish it. But that's still One Whole Jumper done in just about three weeks, meaning I shaved just over a week off the time it took me to knit my first jumper, and this one was a slightly more complicated pattern, what with the ribbing at the hem, wrists and crew neck. And I boldly deviated from the pattern by subbing a different yarn, fucking with the gauge, and changing it from a polo neck to a crew neck.

In other words, I rule.

The details:

Pattern: The Compromise, adapted from The Yarn Girls' Guide to Simple Knits

Yarn: Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Superchunky (the pattern called for something long-discontinued from Noro) in black.

Needles: Lantern Moon Blonde 8mm straights and Addi Turbo 8mm/40cm circs.

I am just so chuffed. I love knitting. Having always had crafty aspirations combined with a low threshold for boredom, and a tendency to not believe in my own abilities, I am so happy that I've taught myself to knit. I have a long way to go -- this is all just pretty simple stuff so far -- but I'm starting to think I might have the potential to be quite good at this. I'm already frustrated by the constraints of other people's patterns, and soon I'd like to try to either seriously adapt from an existing pattern, or just, you know, design something of my own. The worst that could happen is that it just wouldn't work, yes? I'd have to frog it all, and that would be sad, but hell, it's knitting wool, it can be re-used.

The really insane part of this knitting madness is that I'm already day-dreaming about learning to spin and dye my own yarn myself. I think I'll probably get quite a few more completed whole garments under my belt first, though.

No comments: