Tuesday 28 February 2006

OMG teh snow!

OMG teh snow!
OMG teh snow!,
originally uploaded by tricoteuse.
It snowed like hell for about fifteen minutes this morning, so I ran upstairs and got my camera to record it for posterity, since I knew it was going to melt as soon as the sun came out. Which it duly did, and now we have a cold but beautiful sunny day. We get so little snow up here that I tend to get disproportionally excited at the first sign of a few little flurries.

Back in the day, when I was living in the midwestern snow belt, I dreaded and feared the arrival of snow, since that meant both treacherous roads, and the necessity of digging my car out of huge snowdrifts in order to go risk my life on said treacherous roads. Now that I live in the UK which has plenty of public transport, bad though it often is, snow has become a treat I get all too infrequently. I'm sure three days of a ferocious Michigan winter would quickly cure me of my snow nostalgia, but god, that first thick snowfall is a beautiful thing, and I miss it.

I actually got to bed at a reasonable hour and got a decent night's sleep, so I was up pretty early, and I've had an efficient morning. A load of laundry done, a couple of rows knitted, six pictures hung, and after I finish this, I'm off to Liverpool to look for more picture frames. Our house is finally starting to look properly decorated and lived in, except for the mostly bare walls, which are seriously getting on my nerves. We had some stuff from the London flat that just needed to be hung, I've acquired a few things, and one of these days, we're going to have some of our own photos up as well.

I also got a start on clearing out the guest room last night. Yes, we still have packing boxes and just piles of stuff that needs throwing out or putting away. I want to redecorate the guest room, since my mum and auntie will likely be visiting this spring or summer, and anyway, the room looks like something you'd see on How Clean Is Your House?, minus the animal faeces, mouldy food, years of dust and cobwebs, and staphylococcus colony, of course. Proper hoarders and squalorees would snort in contempt at my definition of squalor, but it bugs me. It's just full of boxes and bags and cat fur tumbleweeds, and I'd like it to, you know, not be that way, so I have a safe retreat when Phil's snoring becomes unbearable.

And now I'm off to hack the dust out of my lungs, and get some more shit done.

No comments: