Tuesday 5 December 2006

sparkly

I started getting out the Christmas decorations this evening, and naturally, one of the boxes was at the very bottom of the huge pile of crap in my guest room. My all-but-unusable-guestroom-please-god-nobody-visit-very-soon, that is. The cats have mostly taken that room over, anyway, and the guest bed duvet is covered thickly with cat hair. We are pure class around here. We have some vague notion of cleaning that room out over the holiday break (Phil has a couple of weeks of holiday time to use up) and making it into a guestroom-cum-office for him, since the crappy room in the back of the house he's been using for an office would make a much better storage room, and anyway, it'd be nice to have our respective offices on the same floor of the house, so we might actually talk to each other more frequently. As it currently stands, we both tend to get busy and absorbed, and hours can go by without us communicating at all. This isn't a marriage problem or anything, it'd just be kind of nice to be able to talk to each other without having to traverse the entire house, since our offices are as physically distant from each other as it's possible to be, while still being in the same building. Laziness has, on at least one occasion, compelled me to call him on my mobile rather than get off my big lazy arse. We're also thinking of putting a sofa on the landing (our uppermost landing is huge) so we could make it into more of a social space. We get beautiful light up on the landing, and there are four big bookcases within a few feet, so it'd make a great place to splodge out and read.

This is all a very great idea, but we'll have to see if we can shake off our annual holiday break sloth long enough to actually do it.

Anyway, I got the decorations out today mostly because while I was out earlier, I was strongly tempted to buy a few more things, and was only able to stop myself by deciding I needed to look at what we already had first. Every year, I go a little bit further over the top with the Xmas decorations, although I do confine my decorative jollity to the interior of the house itself, and refrain from putting crap out on our front lawn, or anything like that. Except this year I hung some lights on the big windows in the front hall, but they're tasteful little white lights, I swear.

I usually only decorate the front hall, the staircase and the dining room, but I think I'm going to make my first incursion into the sitting room this year. We put our tree in the front hall because that's where it looks best, and there's enough space for it without having to move a bunch of other stuff, but that also means that when we're in the sitting room, we have no tree to look at. I am not mad enough to put up more than one tree, but I am, in my dotage, getting obsessive enough about the Christmas decorating that I'm happy enough to suck another room into the swirling vortex of tacky my house becomes in December. I've given up. I'm not even trying to maintain an ironic front any longer. I love the sparkly red-and-green-and-goldness of it all, and I don't care who knows it.

No comments: