Tuesday 2 May 2006

I have hit a new low

Stockpiling. I have started stockpiling yarn. And what's more, I stockpiled it in a fit of irrational, possibly hormone-fueled rage, because some total do-gooding bitch revealed my secret source of extraordinarily cheap and incredibly DISCONTINUED Rowanspun. On probably the biggest knitting discussion board on these here internets. So I had to buy enough for at least one more of Phil's beloved Rowanspun Chunky sweaters, before it all disappeared FOREVER. Nevermind that I currently have at least one more sweater's worth of said yarn sitting, entombed in cellophane wrapping, right here in my study. It's discontinued, which means eventually it will all be GONE, and oh my God, then what? All Rowanspun Chunky is rightfully mine, or rather Phil's, because do you know how hard it is to make a sweater he loves as much as he loves that one? And it was my very first sweater, and it fits him just perfectly and he loves it to death, and I felt like a fucking genius when he put it on and there was not a goddamned thing wrong with it, so I am all emotionally attached to it. (God, I wish my period would just start already.) Mine. The Rowanspun Chunky is MINE, and I would appreciate it if y'all would just stay away from it. I would totally be willing to consider staying away from your favourite discontinued yarn if you would leave mine alone. Maybe. I am not a very nice person when it comes to yarn, unlike that person who, being kind and thoughtful and entirely better than me, chose to rat me out, with nothing but good intentions and knitterly camaraderie.

Ah well, at least, as mentioned, the yarn was cheap, and since I was there anyway, some Jaeger Luxury Tweed going for the ridiculous price of £1.25 a ball fell into my shopping cart, because, well, do I really need to explain why I bought enough yarn to make a whole sweater for the low, low price of £12.50? I had to buy it. 65% merino lambswool and 35% alpaca. I am physically incapable of resisting a fibre combination like that for, I repeat, £1.25 per ball.

As it turns out, I am pretty good at resisting the fibre combination in my mother's cardigan. I did really well, until Saturday night, when I just couldn't stand it anymore, and decided to use up the couple of skeins of black Cashmerino Superchunky I had leftover after making Phil's most recent sweater. I made a silly hat with earflaps, pointed kitty-style 'ears' at the top, and a really quite nifty stitch pattern that is mostly lost in the stygian black yarn, but hey, I know it's there. And it made Phil laugh and laugh when he saw me wearing it, but in that nice way he laughs when he thinks I am being adorable, and that makes me feel very loved. And in spite of my reckless refusal to knit a swatch, it came out only very slightly too big, but I don't care, because sometimes, you just have to knit a goofy hat that makes you feel good.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gah! That wasn't me, was it? Co's if it is I'll go hide now.

ana said...

Ha! I have no idea who it was, and I'm not really bothered. Mostly I was making fun of myself and my bizarre obsession with owning ALL THE YARN in the world. I got my Rowanspun Chunky, and all is good. The only reason I really never mentioned it myself is because they've been running those Rowan deals for so long that I assumed they were old news.

Cynthia Sharpe said...

jimmybeanswool.

Only the cardamom colour.
$7.95 a skein, they have 112 left.

HAVE AT IT.