Friday 19 May 2006

Baby boom

no, i'm not pregnant
no, i'm not pregnant,
originally uploaded by tricoteuse.
Bootees! God, bootees are adorable, and a lot of fun to knit.

No, I am not pregnant, but it seems like most of my friends are.

In my desperation to knit anything but that endless goodamn cardigan, I have been working on a series of small, fun projects that I can do very quickly, just to get that finished object buzz. These are my first bootees, and oh my god, they are so very adorable. And so very soft, being made from cashmerino superchunky. Which is also machine-washable, something I gather is kind of important when you are talking about tiny little babies who can spit up and/or excrete three times their own body weight, or so it seems to me, based on my not-very-extensive baby-sitting experience.

This may be my favourite part of having a lot of pregnant friends. I get to knit stuff and it's all very, very small, meaning, of course, I am seldom more than a day or two away from completion of most baby-related projects. There's an almost immediate payoff in knitterly satisfaction. Unlike, of course, THAT GODDAMN CARDIGAN.

Also, I get to buy small quantities of really soft, high-quality yarns, which is the cost-effective way of getting my luxury fibre jollies, not to mention being able to use up those odds and sods of fancy yarn left over from my big projects.

The big problem, though, is that those bootees are so goddamn sweet and darling that it's all I can do not to EAT them. Yum.

No comments: