Saturday 25 March 2006

My mother is nuts

But she does crack me up. She's had all sorts of gruesome health problems over the past year or two -- really unpleasant, if not life-threatening shit -- but still, she maintains her own weird sense of humour. A couple of days ago, an envelope stuffed with newspaper clippings landed on the doormat, and when I opened it, I found two things:

A) A newspaper story from our hometown's newspaper about a local surgeon, complete with a full-colour photo of said surgeon, and the following handwritten notation from my mum: "This is the guy who ripped my ovaries out. Hysterectomy doc, stingy with pain meds."

B) An advert, again from the local paper, for a neurosurgery practice. The three physicians who own the practice are all featured, as is my mother's commentary on two of them, complete with numbers, arrows and circles, to wit:

Surgeon Number 1: "This fucker is the one who had to re-do my back surgery. Stingy with drugs." (She has had issues with being given sufficient pain meds, and is understandably resentful.)

Surgeon Number 2: "This guy is my doctor now. I am reserving judgment, because he is better-looking."

I just hope he gives her more drugs.

No comments: